Bus rider registration is open for the 2021/22 school year.
- Safety Tips For Students
Follow these tips for getting ON the bus:
- Wait 5 steps back from the edge of the road.
- Wait until the bus stops and the RED alternating flashing lights and stop sign are out.
- Before crossing the road, look for the bus driver's hand signal that will tell you when it is safe to cross the road. When the hand signal is given, look left, right and left again before stepping on to the road; when safe to cross walk (don't run) across the road to the front of the bus. Walk out far enough so that you can see the bus driver's head and shoulders; this helps the bus driver to see you.
- Get on the bus using the handrail; find your seat and quickly sit down facing forward with your feet on the floor and your book bag or backpack on your lap.
Follow these tips for getting OFF the bus:
- Use the handrail.
- When you get to the door of the bus look right, left and right again to ensure it is safe to exit the bus.
- Walk out to the front of the bus; make sure you can see the driver's head and shoulders. Stop and wait for the bus driver's hand signal to cross.
- When the bus driver signals to cross look left, right and left again before stepping on to the road to cross. Walk (don't run) across the road.
- Never cross behind the bus because it is dangerous.
- If you hear the school bus horn, quickly move back to the side of the road you came from. This means a car or truck is approaching and may not stop. The bus driver will provide you with another hand signal when it is safe to cross.
- Safety Tips For Other Motorists
- The large AMBER alternating flashing lights warn motorists that the school bus is about to stop to either load or unload students; slow and stop if it is safe to do so.
- The large RED alternating flashing lights warn motorists to STOP as the school bus is either loading or unloading students.
- Drivers must STOP in either direction whenever you see flashing RED lights on a school bus.
- After stopping for a school bus, don't start moving again until the bus moves on or the driver signals that it's safe by turning off the lights and pulling in the stop sign.